[SystemSafety] Current Events

Dewi Daniels dewi.daniels at software-safety.com
Tue Aug 22 10:21:29 CEST 2023

Peter,

I am very sorry this has happened to you.

There are several companies that have realised an easy way to make money is
to send a bot to crawl the Internet searching for copyrighted images. One
such company is PicRights, which has been engaged by AP. I think we will
see a lot more of this behaviour.

PicRights Ltd: the shady company hounding journalists over historic cases
of copyright infringement | by Shannon Rawlins | Medium
<https://shannonrawlins2000.medium.com/picrights-ltd-the-shady-company-hounding-journalists-over-historic-cases-of-copyright-infringement-a169685eede6>
Copyright Compliance (ap.org)
<https://www.ap.org/contact-us/copyright-compliance>

AP's attitude reminds me of the situation in the UK where hotels, stores
and other businesses have subcontracted parking enforcement to unscrupulous
third parties, then claim that the resulting penalty notices are nothing to
do with them.

The claim that you can use an image in a document that you share for
explicitly scientific purposes with a select small number of other
scientists, but you can't then make that document publicly available on the
Internet is only an opinion, the validity of which can only be established
in a court of law. These companies rely on the fact that it is cheaper to
pay up than to contest in court.

In this instance, I think the damage done to the safety community is far
greater than the supposed loss incurred by AP.

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Director | Software Safety Limited

Telephone +44 7968 837742 | Email d <ddaniels at verocel.com>
ewi.daniels at software-safety.com

Software Safety Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Company number: 9390590. Registered office: Fairfield, 30F Bratton Road,
West Ashton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 6AZ