[SystemSafety] Some News About Bertrand Ricque

Prof. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at techfak.de
Tue Aug 22 14:39:34 CEST 2023

Bertrand has been a member of and regular contributor to this list and its predecessor. He is the
chair of the French national standards committee on E/E/PE system functional safety and an active
contributor to the current rewrite of IEC 61058, as well as the Convenor with of the Project Team
for the defence-industry functional safety standard-to-be IEC 63187.

Bertrand is directly responsible for getting me involved in standards. In the noughties there was
much discussion of 61508 on the predecessor list out of York, and he suggested to the chair of the
German national committee that they should invite me along to talk about my concerns and suggestions
for improvement. I did so in October 2009. I was invited to join working groups and I presented my
suggestions about FM in January 2010. That process has led to the IEC Draft Technical Specification
which is currently out for national committee voting.

Audrey Canning told the 61508 Maintenance Teams today that Bertrand went missing in the sea at the
weekend while on holiday, has not been found, and is now presumed to have died. I anticipate that
many of us will be very saddened. I'll miss him deeply.

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany