[SystemSafety] Current Events

Prof. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at techfak.de
Tue Aug 22 22:31:32 CEST 2023

On 2023-08-22 20:54 , Steve Tockey wrote:

> ,,, “Fair Use”

Thanks for that informative pointer.

Wikipedia/Wikimedia seems to be making hay with "fair use" provisions. I have no idea if they are
viable. But I do know that the Wikimedia "habit" of taking a picture, making minor changes, and then
publishing it under your name, does not wash in German copyright law. In Germany, if the picture is
substantially the same as it was, visually, then so is the copyright.

Consequently, I now either have to rethink all those pictures I used from Wikimedia under Creative
Commons to illustrate some recent talks and papers, or I have to publish them elsewhere than Germany.

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany