[SystemSafety] Faults dependent on system state

Steve Tockey steve.tockey at construx.com
Sat Jul 22 08:24:16 CEST 2023

Derek,
It turns out to be trivial to create scenarios where defects are not guaranteed to be revealed through control-flow coverage testing alone. Data-flow testing (specifically, All Uses and All DU Paths coverage), while not at all popular in the software industry, can reveal defects that might not be revealed by even MC/DC coverage. So I’m not at all surprised. Without having fully read the referenced article, the question might be, “would data-flow coverage testing have revealed them?” I’ll need to look into that when I have some more breathing room.

Cheers,

— steve