[SystemSafety] AI and the virtuous test Oracle - intelligence - proof

Steve Tockey steve.tockey at construx.com
Sat Jul 22 09:28:27 CEST 2023

Les,
As I said off-line, apologies for the much-delayed reply. I’m only now digging out from underneath a pile of on-site customer work in India. A few comments:

*) You wrote, “Your argument seems to rest on a particular interpretation of the term "insight". ” — Yes, of course. Discussions like this always hinge on definitions of terms.

*) GPT-4 wrote, “However, their ability to invent completely original insights that transcend existing knowledge and understanding remains limited.” — exactly.

*) You wrote, “You have to admit there's substantial: "recognizing of patterns, and grasping the underlying essence of a situation" ... going on here.” — I would not feel qualified in commenting on that because I don’t understand the game of Go well enough. I am willing to take your word for it, however.

*) You wrote, “In constant conversation with GPT-X I have become painfully aware of the puddle of personal knowledge I've been standing in all my life.” — I never said, nor did I ever intend to imply, that there was no value in AI. To the extent that we can take advantage of what it is capable of, we should.

*) You wrote, “If I may abstract the essence of all situations in your examples: great leaps forward came as a result of observation followed by reflection on random events.” — Or, maybe a bit more precisely, "fresh reflection triggered by otherwise random events"? Anyway, that’s not the only case where I see limitations brought on by Turing-ness. It took me a while to find a marginally usable description of Bloom’s Taxonomy on the web (there are too many and they are too diverse in their interpretations) but here seems to be a reasonable one:

https://www.coloradocollege.edu/other/assessment/how-to-assess-learning/learning-outcomes/blooms-revised-taxonomy.html#:~:text=There%20are%20six%20levels%20of,analyzing%2C%20evaluating%2C%20and%20creating.

My point is that Turing-based AI can easily handle the lower levels,

— Remember
— Understand
— Apply

I doubt that Turing-based AI could ever be as good as humans at the top level, create. In terms of Bloom’s Taxonomy, is Turing-based AI constrained to some highest level? Maybe. I think it’s an interesting question to ponder. Maybe Turing-based AI starts to break down at the Analyze level? Maybe the Evaluate level? Could we, and should we, evaluate any AI in terms of Bloom’s Taxonomy? It could be a useful line of inquiry.

My far bigger issue is with the hype around AI and the (mistaken) belief that it is all-powerful. Some bozo (term used intentionally) on LinkedIn posted the following as recommended prompts for Software Developers:

“Develop an architecture and code for a [website description] website with JavaScript”

“Continue writing this code for JavaScript [post code]”

“Find the bug with in code: [post code]”

Seriously? Why not just ask it,

“Develop a complete avionics suite for the Airbus A-350. Oh, and satisfy the requirements of DO-178C while you are at it”

?

Cheers,

— steve