[SystemSafety] AI and the virtuous test Oracle

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Thu Jun 22 08:00:32 CEST 2023

On 2023-06-22 03:32 , Phil Koopman wrote:

> I propose that to the degree that "AI" technology is deployed in a way that supplants practical
> human judgement, the manufacturer of that system (in some cases just the AI part if it is an add-on
> component) should be held accountable for any action (or inaction) that, if associated with the
> human that was supplanted, would have constituted negligence.

What's so special about ML-SW? Why should this not apply to any software-based function whatsoever?

However, there is a long tradition of SW providers avoiding liability for damage caused by use of
their products. The "shrink-wrap warranty": none at all.

Given the successful pervasive resistance over 4+ decades to changing the legal situation around the
"shrink-wrap warranty", what are the chances that it will change with the advent of "black-box"
functionality? (To most users, SW offers "black box" functionality anyway: they don't know what it
does and can't read or evaluate  engineering specifications.)

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany