[SystemSafety] AI and the virtuous test Oracle - intelligence

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Fri Jun 30 06:12:00 CEST 2023

Steve

RE : “ I argue, human intelligence is not something that a computer could ever
actually be capable of”

According to Max Tegmark the jury is still out on this question.
Max is a professor of physics at MIT and president of the Future of Life
Institute (ref Tegmark, Max. Life 3.0, Penguin Books Ltd). His claim to fame is
that he was in the room when Larry Page called Elon Musk a speceist.

Max provides evidence that the nature of intelligence is a subject for debate -
as yet, unresolved.
Max: “My wife and I recently had the good fortune to attend a symposium on
artificial intelligence organized by the Swedish Nobel Foundation, and when a
panel of leading AI researchers were asked to define intelligence, they argued
at length without reaching consensus.

there are many competing ones, including capacity for logic, understanding,
planning, emotional knowledge, self-awareness,creativity, problem solving and
learning.”

Max’s pet definition is:
“intelligence = ability to accomplish complex goals”

Max makes some outrageous assertions:
“This substrate [platform]  independence of computation implies that AI is
possible: intelligence doesn’t require flesh, blood or carbon atoms.”
Max uses the following metaphor:
“Waves, for instance: they have properties such as speed, wavelength and
frequency, and we physicists can study the equations they obey without even
needing to know what particular substance they’re waves in.”

Oh well, they say, “All great truths begin as blasphemies” (George Bernard
Shaw)

On the subject of determinism, Max goes on:
“Just as we don’t fully understand how our children learn, we still don’t fully
understand how such neural networks learn, and why they occasionally fail.

Stuart Russell told me that he and many of his fellow AI researchers had
recently experienced a “holy s**t!” (HS) moment, when they witnessed AI doing
something they weren’t expecting to see for many years.”

My question here is: “How do you run a hazard analysis on a system you don't
understand that is likely, for further unknown reasons, to occasionally fail? “

This situation would be amusing but for the fact, “they” are already amongst
us. Cruise (General Motors), Waymo (Google), and Zoox (Amazon) are currently
operating driverless taxis on the streets of San Francisco. YouTube reports
that San Franciscans amuse themselves by jumping in front of them to see if
they will automatically stop?????

This AI non-determinism is a fact, confirmed by all practitioners who feel free
to speak out. It's one of the core reasons why some senior practitioners have
left developers like OpenAI and Google Deep Mind. It works too well and they
don't know why - the neural network is a very simple approximation to the human
brain. It shouldn't work that well -, and they don't know what it might be
capable of in the future. Which brings me to the unbounded nature of artificial
intelligence.

>From Max:
“Nobody knows for sure what the next blockbuster computational substrate will
be, but we do know that we’re nowhere near the limits imposed by the laws of
physics. My MIT colleague Seth Lloyd has worked out what this fundamental limit
is, and as we’ll explore in greater detail in chapter 6, this limit is a
whopping 33 orders of magnitude (1033 times) beyond today’s state of the art
for how much computing a clump of matter can do. So even if we keep doubling
the power of our computers every couple of years, it will take over two
centuries until we reach that final frontier.”

The debate continues. Keep your powder dry Steve.

Les

> Les,
>
> “silicon is unbounded”
>
> I disagree. Silicon is bounded, just in different ways than humans. For one,
Turing Computability. Turing Machines, which all modern silicon computers are a
kind of, are 100% deterministic. Human intelligence is non-deterministic. Thus,
I argue, human intelligence is not something that a computer could ever
actually be capable of. See, for example:

> https://youtu.be/i2trJEIFIvY
>
> I agree that, “We are embarked; we need to deal with it”. But we also
have to be aware of the limits of so-called AI.

> — steve
>
> On Jun 26, 2023, at 9:15 PM, Les Chambers <les at chambers.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I put it to you and the list in general, a "discuss later" mentality is
foolish
> in the extreme. The process of deploying intelligence in automated systems
has
> , and will,  fundamentally change. Among other things, international bodies
> that currently regulate software-intensive Safety-Critical systems - who
cling
> to regulating processes that have ceased to exist - are likely to be overrun
> and made redundant.
>
> In favour of organisations such as:
>
> - The Center for Human-Compatible AI at UC Berkeley
> - The Future of Life Institute
> - The Center for AI Safety (CAIS)
> - Stanford Center for AI Safety
>
> My view is that this is not a steady-as-she-goes situation. This is a major
> inflection point in the evolution of intelligence. Carbon hosts will always
be
> limited; silicon is unbounded. We are embarked; we need to deal with it.
>
> Suggested reading: Max Tegmark, Life 3.0
>
> Les
>
> C2 - Confidential
>
> Hello,
>
> For the moment, I don't see in industry any attempt to realise E/EPE safety
> related function with On-line AI. All what I see is focused on off-line AI,
> meaning that the training is done specified training data sets, and the
> validation is done on specified test datasets. We don't see any performance
> better than roughly 3.3 10-3 in automotive. So let's wait for the achievement
> of 10-8 to 10-5 error rate on test datasets and discusss later the
> acceptability.
>
> Attention : due to increased cybersecurity screening I may receive external
> emails 30 minutes after their emission.
> RESTRICTED
>
> Bertrand RICQUE
> Safety and security standardisation Expert
> Program Support Manager
> Optronics and Defence Division/Customer Support
> Safran Electronics & Defense
>
> P +33 (0)1 58 11 96 82   M +33 (0)6 87 47 84 64
> bertrand.ricque at safrangroup.com
> 102 Avenue de Paris
> 91300 MASSY FRANCE
> www.safran-electronics-defense.com

"A neural network is software
logic.ââ,¬Â

> A neural Network is a component of an AI agent. An AI agent is a
> suite of general purpose software tools. The agent is configured from a
> dataset.
>
> ChatGPT goes on (see dialog below): ââ,¬Ã
"Synthesizing an AI agent
> involves training the machine learning model on a large
> dataset.ââ,¬Â
>
> This indicates that the training dataset determines the agentââ,¬â"¢s
> behaviour (transfer function - inputs to outputs). In the case of a
> Tesla motor
> vehicle,
> the inputs are camera sensors and the outputs will soon be controls
> to the accelerator, brake and steering.
>
> RE your comment, ââ,¬Ã
"The problem is not AI. It is the exhaustive
> deterministic
> relationship between the undesired losses and the system states.
> Anything breaking this, breaks the current safety paradigm. And AI
> is not the single thing to achieve this.ââ,¬Â
>
> Could you please expand on this idea. Possibly using an example.
>
> How would your thought apply here: I am a driver at the wheel of a
> Tesla travelling at 110 km/h on the freeway. I have switched the
> vehicle to full
> self-
> driving mode. I am fast asleep. The FSD agent detects a false
> positive ââ,¬â?o
> a lady
> with a pram. It jams on the brakes initiating a rear-end collision
> with a following semi.
> Q: In this case how is it that, ââ,¬Ã
"The problem is not
AIââ,¬Â

> Les
>
> ââ,¬â?Ã¢â,¬â?Ã¢â,¬â?Ã¢â,¬â?Ã¢â,¬â?
ChatGPT Dialog
> ââ,¬â?Ã¢â,¬â?Ã¢â,¬â?Ã¢â,¬â?Ã¢â,¬â?
Ã¢â,¬â?

> ChatGPT prompt:
> ââ,¬Ã
"Describe an AI agent from a technical perspective. What are its

"
> [...]
>
> les at chambers.com.au
> systemsengineeringblog.com
>
> +61 (0)412 648 992
> GJCz
> dLlz4gg9Cz063kcikC8CIr0YMf2lF9o5xNrnA0Av-
> DS0QOuOFaUjXMdlNF$
>
> --
> Prof. Phil Koopman   koopman at cmu.edu
> (he/him)
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://users.ece.cmu.edu/*koopman/__;fg!
>
> !Dl6pPzL6!dV6V79CEWJVLcdXXS5n2wYWdaCGJCzdLlz4gg9Cz063kcikC8CIr0YM
> f2lF9o5xNrnA0Av-DS0QOuOFaUnsUrevc$

> cd
> XXS5n2wYWdaCGJCzdLlz4gg9Cz063kcikC8CIr0YMf2lF9o5xNrnA0Av-
> DS0QOuOFaUjXMdlNF$
>
> #
> " Ce courriel et les documents qui lui sont joints peuvent
> contenir des
> informations confidentielles, ÃfÆ'Ã,ªtre soumis aux
> rÃfÆ'Ã,¨glementations
> relatives au
> contrÃfÆ'Ã,´le des exportations ou ayant un caractÃfÆ'Ã,¨re
> privÃfÆ'Ã,©.
> S'ils ne
> vous sont
> pas destinÃfÆ'Ã,©s, nous vous signalons qu'il est strictement interdit
> de les divulguer, de les reproduire ou d'en utiliser de quelque
> maniÃfÆ'Ã,¨re que ce
> soit
> le contenu. Toute exportation ou rÃfÆ'Ã,©exportation non
> autorisÃfÆ'Ã,©e
> est interdite Si ce message vous a ÃfÆ'Ã,©tÃfÆ'Ã,© transmis par
> erreur,
> merci d'en informer l'expÃfÆ'Ã,©diteur et de supprimer
> immÃfÆ'Ã,©diatement
> de votre systÃfÆ'Ã,¨me informatique ce courriel ainsi que tous les
> documents qui y sont attachÃfÆ'Ã,©s."
> ******
> " This e-mail and any attached documents may contain confidential
> or
> proprietary information and may be subject to export control laws
> and regulations. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
> notified that
> any
> dissemination, copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto or
> use of their contents by any means whatsoever is strictly
> prohibited. Unauthorized export or re-export is prohibited. If you
> have received this e-mail in
> error,
> please advise the sender immediately and delete this e-mail and all
> attached
> documents from your computer system."
> #
>
> --
>
> Les Chambers
>
> les at chambers.com.au
>
> +61 (0)412 648 992
>
> #
> " Ce courriel et les documents qui lui sont joints peuvent contenir
> des
> informations confidentielles, Ãfªtre soumis aux rÃf¨glementations
> relatives au
> contrÃf´le des exportations ou ayant un caractÃf¨re privÃf©.
S'ils ne