[SystemSafety] Best single reference concerning PRA?

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Nov 16 11:59:41 CET 2012

On 11/15/12 9:44 PM, C. Michael Holloway wrote:
> A colleague recently asked me for recommendations for a small number of good references concerning
> the use of probabilistic risk / safety assessment in safety-critical software-intensive systems.
> How would you respond to this request?

First, I would suggest that the word "small" is redundant

Second, I would suggest he look at
a. Kumamoto and Henley's IEEE Press book
b. Bedford and Cooke's Cambridge U.P. book
c. Jens Braband's monograph if heshe can read German. Jens is, as far as I know, the only Prof in
Germany who is regularly teaching an entire university course on engineering risk analysis. (We do
mostly hazard analysis, and that is what is in our book.)

I just attended the "Safety in Transportation" annual workshop at TU Braunschweig. Heavily (read:
all) rail. I learned that rail in Europe is recently plaguedxxxxxxxinfluenced by European Directive
352 from 2009 on Common Safety Methods for rail. It apparently tells you you have to use a Risk
Matrix, with certain probabilistic boundaries. There has been a fair amount of intense work on
exactly how to use this approach. The slide sets will shortly be on-line, I understand
(search for "Braunschweig IfEV SiT" - it's SiT 5) but most of them are in German.