[SystemSafety] CfP Glasgow Workshop on Human Factors

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Nov 20 16:13:37 CET 2012

Floor Kornneef just distributed this from Chris Johnson, so I am redistributing, since I imagine
Chris would want this. I note that there is an international effort via the IEC, led by Carl Sandom,
to clarify the human factors considerations necessary in the development of critical systems that
are not adequately dealt with yet by IEC 61508. It is in early stages of approval (I hope!) as an
IEC project. I encourage those who like myself think that IEC 61508 could give much better guidance
on human factors considerations to get their national committees to vote yes on progressing this
project as it comes to you.

Just to give an indication of why this is necessary, I was discussing this in a group a while back,
in the context of Carl's original application. Someone suggested that, in any modern system, the
operators' role is defined by procedures, and the main issue is to ensure that those defined
procedures are followed. But that is a matter for management and the law, not for engineering. So,
issue solved.

Such a phenomenon, I suggest, is why guidance is needed. Many engineers seem to understand HF in
just such simplistic terms.

Abstract deadline: December 7, 2012

Full paper submission: January 31, 2013

In association with IFIP WG13.5, Call for Papers, Workshop on:

Human Factors in the Safety and Security of Critical Systems

18 and 19 March, 2013, School of Computing Science, University of Glasgow, Scotland.

Over the last thirty years, there has been a mass of research into the central role that human
factors play in determining the safety of complex systems. Studies have identified the interactions
between stress, fatigue, workload and a host of performance shaping factors that influence the
perception, cognition and physiology of operators, of maintenance staff and of management.

At the same time, there has been a growing recognition that security is a key factor in the
dependability of critical systems. However, much attention has focused on the technical
infrastructures, the software and hardware that mitigate potential threats. Only in the last 5-10
years has there been a significant focus on human aspects of cyber security. The existing work on
this area has not always been informed by the mass of previous work in the human factors of safety
critical systems. However terms such as 'situation awareness' that were originally considered in
safety-related systems are increasingly being used in the context of cyber security.

This workshop will provide a common forum for researchers working on the human factors of safety and
security critical systems.

The following list identifies some, but not all, of the potential topics:

• Usability studies of security or safety critical systems;

• Application of human factors studies from safety-critical to secure systems (and vice versa);

• Interactions between safety, security, dependability and the usability of complex systems;

• Common organisational issues in safety and security critical systems;

• Studies of resilience across both safety and security critical systems;

• Tools and techniques for the co-design of safety and security critical interfaces.

Submission instructions:

please send abstracts to the conference chairs by 7th December 2012. Full papers are due by 30th
January 2013. Selected submissions will be included after further review for a special edition of
Elsevier's Reliability Engineering and System Safety journal.

Co-chairs:

Chris Johnson, Univ. of Glasgow. (Email: Johnson at dcs.gla.ac.uk).

Philippe Palanque, IRIT, Université Paul Sabatier. (Email: palanque at irit.fr)

Programme Committee:

Judy Bowen, Univ of Waikato, New Zealand.

Barbara Czerny, Chrysler Motors, Detroit, USA,

Erik Hollnagel, University of Southern Denmark.

C. Michael Holloway, NASA Langley, USA.

Amaya Atencia Jepez, GMV, Spain,

Jackie Kaiser, US Air Force, Colorado Springs, USA.

Tony Licu, EUROCONTROL, Brussels, Belgium.

Antonio Nogueras EUROCONTROL, Brussels, Belgium.

Karen Renaud, University of Glasgow, UK.

Angela Sasse, University College London, UK.

Maite Trujillo, European Space Agency, NL.

Maria Queiroz Vieira, Univ de Campina Grade, Brazil.

sent by: