[SystemSafety] Critical Design Checklist

Sean M. Beatty smbeatty at highimpactservices.com
Tue Aug 27 23:12:25 CEST 2013

Kevin,

Here is a list of a dozen potential problems in real-time embedded systems
software, many of which aren't caught by traditional testing methods.
Perhaps this will be useful to you, even though it's a very specific domain.
Of course, these problems are only safety-critical if they could result in
triggering a hazard ..

1. Mathematical operations, especially fixed point (scaled integers)

2. How are expected errors handled?

3. Does the Risk Analysis or FMEA identify other potential errors, which
aren't handled?

4. Hardware Interfaces

. Initialization

. Noise on sensor (and other) inputs

. Power up and power down behavior

. Power usage (sleep) modes

. Watchdog timer

. ADC and DAC turn-on delays

. EEPROM interface

5. Resource Usage (RAM, ROM, and EEPROM must also be adequately sized)

. Adequate stack for worst case

. Intermediate data

. Data shared between Interrupt Service Routines and application

. Data shared between tasks of different priorities

6. Any possibility of deadlock

7. Schedulability of all tasks

8. Maximum task response times

9. Other task timing constraints (jitter, end-to-end requirements)

10. Non-deterministic structures

11. Task precedence constraints

12. Uncontrolled priority inversion

Hope this helps!

Sean

Sean M. Beatty

Principal

High Impact Services, Inc.           317-774-9895

23 S. 8th Street, Suite 100    Fax: 317-219-0437

Noblesville, IN 46060      www.highimpactservices.com