[SystemSafety] Root Cause Analysis

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Wed Feb 13 01:09:53 CET 2013

Peter,
Apologies for the delayed reply, I've been buried in other work for the
past couple of weeks.

I'm not sure you included it, but I have gotten some mileage out of "Cause
Maps" (see the book "Apollo Root Cause Analysis" 3rd Ed, by Dean L. Gano,
Appollonian Publications, 2007). See also
http://www.thinkreliability.com/searchindustry.aspx for some real-world
examples of Cause Maps in action. Here's a short description of Cause Maps:

A Cause Map is a structured map of "cause --> effect" relationships that
includes the identified problem that is chained forward into negative
effects on organizational goals and chained backwards into driving causes.
Unlike tools such as Ishikawa (or "fishbone") diagrams, Cause Maps demand
clear evidence of the occurrence of the cause(s) and the causality of the
effect(s)

I've also heard of, but not used "Bayesian Inference" (Statistical
inference from evidence or observation is used to infer or update
probability that some hypothesis may be true)

Cheers,

-- steve