[SystemSafety] Development of code for ASICs under IEC 61508

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 00:54:10 CEST 2013

For me the core problem I see with VHDL and FPGA when used in combination
is that they allow designers to treat hardware as software. So rather than
generating a design through the classical hardware design process, where
you design by analysis and prove as you go designers end up trying design
concepts and just adding stuff to make it work ala software style. That of
course increases the complexity and opaqueness of the design. Add in the
problem that VHDL hides design detail and is not WYSIWG in nature and you
can end up loosing control of what you are doing.

*Matthew Squair*
*
*
Mob: +61 488770655