[SystemSafety] Who applies risk acceptance principles - Part 2

GRAZEBROOK, Alvery N Alvery.Grazebrook at airbus.com
Tue Jun 4 15:21:08 CEST 2013

In my opinion, the number of instances of the system containing the failure mode should be considered. A function which might have a few other examples globally (e.g. a protection function in the signalling system for a nation) could tolerate the levels of failures discussed, but a function that is instantiated frequently (e.g. on every train carriage) could not tolerate such high levels of dangerous failures.

It is also the question of utility. I would not be content to tolerate anything like this level of risk if the benefit was only to support a marketing activity, but if the risk gave a significant benefit to society e.g. providing a mass-transit system to millions of people, perhaps the risk would be justified. So I think it is appropriate to consider value, and separation of 1st party risk vs. 3rd party risk, as part of the assessment process.

Regards,
            Alvery

** the opinions expressed here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer. **