[SystemSafety] Qualifying SW as "proven in use" [Measuring Software]

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Tue Jun 25 01:38:50 CEST 2013

All,

> Actually, getting the evidence isn't that tricky, it's just a lot of work.

This is true of most things (+ getting the money to do the work).

> Essentially all one needs to do is to run a correlation analysis
> (correlation coefficient) between the proposed quality measure on the one
> hand, and defect tracking data on the other hand.

There is plenty of dirty data out there that needs to be cleaned up
before it can be used:
http://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2013/06/02/data-cleaning-the-next-step-in-empirical-software-engineering/

> For example, the code quality measure "Cyclomatic Complexity" (reference:
> Tom McCabe, ³A Complexity Measure², IEEE Transactions on Software
> Engineering, December, 1976) was validated many years ago by simply

I am not aware of any study that validates this metric to a reasonable
standard.  There are a few studies that have used found a medium
correlation in a small number of data points.

I have some data whose writeup is not yet available in a good enough
draft form to post to my blog.  I only plan to write about this
metric because it is widely cited and is long overdue for relegation
to the history of good ideas that did not stand the scrutiny of
empirical evidence.

> finding a strong positive correlation between the cyclomatic complexity of
> functions and the number of defects that were logged against those same

Correlation is not causation.

Cyclomatic complexity correlates well with lines of code, which
in turn correlates well with number of faults.

> functions (I.e., code in that function needed to be changed in order to
> repair that defect).

Changing the function may increase the number of faults.  Creating two
functions where there was previously one will reduce an existing peak
in the distribution of values, but will it result in less faults
overall?

All this stuff with looking for outlier metric values is pure hand
waving.  Where is the evidence that the reworked code is better not
worse?

--
Derek M. Jones                  tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd          blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com