[SystemSafety] Qualifying SW as "proven in use" [Measuring Software] & [THE DARK NIGHT OF THE SOUL]

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Tue Jun 25 06:53:52 CEST 2013

Steve
Can you cite your source for the "study of 18 production applications"? That
would be interesting.
Back in the day I provided a McCabe complexity analysis service. The worst
offenders were real-time operating systems. Today the problems caused by
module level complexity are exacerbated by complex and fragmented
architectures. If you take the bog standard dynamic web application as an
example we have the following:
Assuming we implement an allegedly simple model, view, controller
architecture there is:
- PHP controller code for each web page.
- Various PHP class libraries and configuration files (dynamically included
on the server at run time) .
- PHP view code that dynamically modifies the HTML
- HTML itself
- JavaScript view code written au naturale (dynamically included on the
client at run time)
- JavaScript libraries such as Ajax and jQuery that impact web page
behaviour and communicate with back-end databases (dynamically included on
the client at run time)
- Miscellaneous other JavaScript libraries that perform UI functions such as
nifty drop-down menus (dynamically included on the client at run time)
- Cascading style sheet (CSS) files that impact the format and behaviour of
web pages (for example they can make web page elements disappear). Note that
it is common practice for JavaScript to interact with CSS and change its
behaviour on the fly. Further, most JavaScript libraries can be directly
sourced by page links to external library repositories that are subject to
change not in the control of the developer. There are training organisations
out there that suggest programmers do this to stay current with the new and
the grovy!!!
- Next we have the PHP engine with behaviour impacted by a configuration
file. And various releases that have slightly different behaviour in
interpreting PHP code.
- The web server itself with its attendant configuration file.
- The database server with its configuration parameters and multiple and
sundry variations on SQL implementation (MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle).
- Then if you are into an ultramodern nontrivial application you are looking
at a cloud environment such as Amazon Web Services with multiple virtual
machines running any number of UNIX variants with attendant transaction
switching, load balancing and database replication facilities not to mention
firewalls with their associated configuration.
- Lastly we have the user's browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome,
Safari, Opera) all with slightly different implementations of HTML and
JavaScript. Internet Explorer is the worst offender with implementations
changing by release level.(I have grown quite attached to Chrome).
On the strength of all this, some time ago, I gave up hope of ever providing
value to a client with a McCabe complexity analysis. I'd be handing out
speeding tickets at the Indi 500. There are bigger fish to fry  ...  for
example evasive action on the side effects of the non-declarative weakly
typed PHP language.  You are forced into using it by the massive support in
web environments not to mention its free and has highly active forums that
will get you out of any problem you will ever get into. Legend has it that
it has an error message in Hebrew.
But I know I'm raving here. And you might wonder what's this got to do with
safety critical software. The short answer is money and lives. We all do our
banking with this stuff and sooner or later, if it hasn't happened already,
this software will be despatching ambulances, police cars and strike jets.
Electricity grids are probably already involved. I'm personally aware of one
gentleman who can tune a gas treatment plant in New Guinea from his living
room in Brisbane.
I have a cycling buddy who is a professor of computer science (emeritus) -
expert in language compiler development. He looks on with some sadness at
the poor state of language development and its suicidal march into
fragmented architectures that can only be described as side-effect city,
"... did not the silly buggers listen in class!!!  AT ALL!!!!".
Wasn't it Dostoyevsky who said that, "man is a creature who can get used to
anything". I guess that's our fate.

Cheers
Les