[SystemSafety] Qualifying SW as "proven in use" [Measuring Software]

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Wed Jun 26 16:14:16 CEST 2013

Steve,

> I've been trying to drum up interest in this among my customers. They all
> have significant code bases (totaling 10 million lines of code or more,
> easily) with years of operational defect data. The two tricks are 1)
> correlating the defect fixes to specific elements of code, and 2) finding
> the time to do the analysis. What I'm hoping to do is run across someone

There is plenty of bug data from open source projects and
researchers are slowly building an infrastructure to
extract the desired information.  The number of issues
that need to be addressed to turn raw fault data into something
useful seems to be never ending (spotting duplicate reports,
miscategorized reports, fault fixes intermingled with other
work and vice versa).

There are now tools that will connect bug reports to the changed
files, search back through the change history to find when the
code was first written, spot most duplicates and even highlight
threads in the discussion list relating to the report.

We live in interesting times in that good quality data is starting
to become available in volume, i.e., the output of data extraction and
human/machine cleaned data.

What the commercial data could have that the open source data rarely has
is manpower information, how much effort was needed to do the work.

> who is working at one of these companies who is in (or will start) a
> masters or Ph.D. Program. What a thesis topic this would be, huh?

I know of over a dozen people working towards PhDs on these and related
topics; there are probably a lot more.

--
Derek M. Jones                  tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd          blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com