[SystemSafety] RE : Qualifying SW as "proven in use"

Nick Tudor njt at tudorassoc.com
Thu Jun 27 13:40:37 CEST 2013

There is adequate guidance within DO178C on the evidential requirements for
previously developed software.  My opinion is that it basically gives the
hint that it is very difficult and that anyone considering doing it for
anything above DAL C should re-consider.  Also note that there is a
statement in DO178C regarding software 'reliability' as follows: "Many
methods for predicting software reliability based on developmental metrics
(for example, software structure, defect detection rate, etc.) have been
published. This document does not provide guidance for those types of
methods, because at the time of writing, currently available methods did
not provide results in which confidence can be placed."

Cheers

Nick Tudor

Nick Tudor
Tudor Associates Ltd