[SystemSafety] Qualifying SW as "proven in use" [Measuring Software]

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 18:30:29 CEST 2013

On 27/06/2013 16:10, Steve Tockey wrote:
> I would be willing to bet that if the data used in the Hatton study
> were broken down to the function/method level, a clear correlation
> would be appear.

It should be no surprise to find that software components that are hard
to understand have a higher defect density than those that are easier to
understand. One issue, then, is how to measure ease of understanding so
that it can be imposed by a standard. Appropriate loop invariants, for
example, greatly help understanding, and so do (correct) comments ...

Martyn