[SystemSafety] RE : Qualifying SW as "proven in use"

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 09:15:38 CEST 2013

Peter,

Yep it was my poor choice of phrase, my point was that in terms of evidence
one or a thousand hours of data from the old environment should have the
same evidential weight, if the new environment is different to the old and
we have no idea of what it is.

Yes I would agree that stochastic inputs can generate stochastic behaviour.
So if it's inputs we're talking about isn't the use of 'hours run' as a
unit of exposure essentially a side issue? If what you're actually doing is
exposing the software to a set of inputs that are stochastic in nature. As
a consequence the amount of time you have to assign to collect a
statistically valid sample is driven by the confidence you wish to obtain,
the inherent variability of the input, and how frequently it arrives over
some period of time.

Going back to my example if I 'know' that the variability of the inputs is
extremely low one hour of input data may do, if not then much more may be
needed. If the input data is very complex, any amount of hours may not be
enough. All of which is about establishing how well we understand the
environment rather than the 'reliability' of software, as I see it.

Picking up your example again, why was the difference between the two
environments not detected by the designer? Was an assumption made that the
new environment was the same as the old? Presuming that to be the case,
isn't the decision to deploy software in that new context really about a
different kind of uncertainty?

For example, the original environment had an arrival rate of inputs that
could be characterised to have some frequency, the new environment  also
has a frequency but we are uncertain as to it's value. We could have
estimated some bounds to this possible range of frequencies and run some
tests to see what effect differing arrival rates might have, or we could
have gone out and gathered field data, but instead (I presume) we elected
to assume that the parameters were the same.

So deploying into a new environment carries epistemic uncertainty and we
can reduce this, but if we make an assumption that the environment is the
same we are translating that epistemic uncertainty into an ontological one.
I infer from your example that we didn't have to wait too long after
deployment to find this problem so I presume that we wouldn't have to run a
trial for very long before we saw the problem input.

As to whether you would or should weigh operation in multiple different
environments as better or worse I was thinking about the open source
example, where having multiple different people looking at the code
independently seems to generate very low defect rates. Linux is the example
a lot of people use I believe. So, couldn't one argue that operation across
a range of different environments would be more likely to expose different
systematic errors, as compared to operation in one environment for a long
time?

--
*Matthew Squair*
*