[SystemSafety] Units for Functional Safety variables ? - A Friday afternoon question on a Wednesday.

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Wed Oct 2 18:50:22 CEST 2013

In measurement theory
- a nominal scale are just labels
- an ordinal scale has a rank order (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc., or A,B,C,D ) -
but you cannot do maths on the rank values
- a ratio scale is used for expressing physical quantities relative to
some base unit (where you can do maths)

HFT could be represented on an ordinal scale, as there is implied
ordering, i.e. 2 better than 1 {as more component failures can be
tolerated) - but we do not know how much better.