[SystemSafety] Agile methods

Thierry.Coq at dnv.com Thierry.Coq at dnv.com
Mon Sep 2 10:54:06 CEST 2013

Hi
One of the problems of Agile methods is that they focus on the "program" as the main deliverable.
In the context of Functional Safety,  once it's understood the main deliverable of a SIS is a demonstrated reduction in risk, the Agle principles could be applied. The whole process should be very clearly written down in the (integrated) functional safety plan. In the real life, I've mostly never seen it. Usually the worst breakdown is at the interface between the requirements owner and the Agile team.

Even for more "normal" projects, Agile Design should be preferred over Agile Programming, with good QA support and extensive tooling. And that after initial Architecture. Agile Programming almost always results like Bertrand writes in very poor documents, poor testing, poor architecture and poor programming.

Best regards,
Thierry Coq
DNV