[SystemSafety] Agile methods

Nancy Leveson leveson.nancy8 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 14:21:24 CEST 2013

Aha, defense. Well, my company was hired to do a non-advocate safety
assessment of the U.S. Missile Defense system about ten years ago, just
before the system was to be deployed and field tested. Two people used STPA
on it for the hazard of inadvertent launch. Some of the companies had used
Agile and related methods on their software. We found it very difficult to
do a hazard analysis as the requirements were so poor. We found lots of
problems, including missing cases in the software that could lead to the
hazard.

Nancy

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM, René Senden <rene.senden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Peter,
>
> I appreciate all contributions/replies, but of course I am particularly
> interested in those that actually address the initiating question..and
> indeed some members of this
> list addressed practical industrial experience, most of which however
> contacted me offline for that, this is after all a tough crowd at times…
> Perhaps we have different
> views on practical experience…or perhaps my wording of the question is a
> little short of perfection.. I kept my initial question somewhat general
> because I also have to
> consider things like confidentiality..so it goes without saying that I
> assume we all have similar restrictions… the sector at hand is defence, so
> not medical..
>
> My latest contribution, as a response to Myriam, indeed concludes with an
> additional question…  I am not hoping for any particular outcome, I don’t
> know how you got that impression…
>
> Personally I am very skeptic about agile methods in this context..that
> being said.. we can’t always chose the questions we are faced with…
>
> Rene

Prof. Nancy Leveson
Aeronautics and Astronautics and Engineering Systems
MIT, Room 33-334
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02142

Telephone: 617-258-0505