[SystemSafety] Understanding Air France 447

Dewi Daniels ddaniels at verocel.com
Thu Sep 12 10:02:30 CEST 2013

The September 2013 AAIB bulletin contains a report on two unreliable air
speed events on British Airways A321s.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/september_2013/airbus_a321_231
__g_euxm.cfm

Some sentences that struck me in the report:

"The pilots commenced the procedure for 'Unreliable Speed Indication' and
turned off the Flight Directors."  (The AF 447 crew failed to perform either
of these actions).

"The pilots commented that company training in unreliable airspeed
indications had made the incident straightforward"

"The operator had identified several possible events as having a high
priority for training within its Advanced Training and Qualification Package
(ATQP), based on a Task Analysis and Training Needs Analysis of its Airbus
operation.  Unreliable airspeed was among them, and was included in one of
the Line Orientated Evaluation (LOE) scenarios conducted in 2009-10."
(Given the timing, this training need was presumably identified in direct
response to AF 447).

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Managing Director | Verocel Limited

Direct Dial +44 1225 718912 | Mobile +44 7968 837742 | Email
<mailto:ddaniels at verocel.com> ddaniels at verocel.com

Verocel Limited is a company registered in England and Wales. Company
number: 7407595. Registered office: Grangeside Business Support Centre, 129
Devizes Road, Hilperton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 7SZ