[SystemSafety] Which software for very basic FTA?

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Sep 24 12:11:20 CEST 2013

On 9/24/13 11:37 AM, David MENTRE wrote:
> I am planning to do some FTA (and possibly FMEA). Such FTA are going
> to be very very basic (relatively small tree, no probabilities, ...

We call those "qualitative FTs"

> I could use MS Visio or similar drawing software. I am already using
> MS Excel. However I would like to have (i) a graphical representation
> of the tree, (ii) numbering of events (for traceability), (iii)
> printing capabilities (print the tree on several A4 pages in readable
> form).

If you don't care about Manhattan layout (vertical/horizontal edges only) but are willing to accept
slanted edges, then the dot engine (part of the GraphViz package) is good. We have been using
various versions of it in the SERAS tool and its predecessors for a decade and a half.

One advantage of dot over Visio is that you specify the connections (the language is simple) and the
layout is automatic. So when nodes get moved, the edges follow them; you don't have to move each
element separately.

SERAS does item (ii). It also does (iii), but only via other open source tools.

There are Linux tools for doing (iii), but they only "tile" a complete graphic; they don't split the
tree up in any cognitively intelligent manner.

We have used predecessors of SERAS to produce FTs. But the current version of SERAS doesn't have the
"AND"/"OR"-gate graphics that FTs use. And I haven't fired up our old SW in many years.