[SystemSafety] NYTimes: The Next Accident Awaits

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Tue Feb 4 04:07:46 CET 2014

https://law.resource.org/pub/bg/ibr/bds.en.50129.2003.pdf

From: systemsafety-bounces at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de [mailto:systemsafety-bounces at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de] On Behalf Of Nancy Leveson
Sent: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:43 AM
To: Andrew Rae
Cc: <systemsafety at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] NYTimes: The Next Accident Awaits

Drew,

I took quotes from the standards in the UK and some in Australia. Except for the last abstract, they were simply the first 15 references that came up when I googled "safety case" and "safety case regime." There are some differences, but none of them are using the term as just another way of saying "the activities of safety engineers." While certainly anyone can make up and use any definition for any term they want, it does not help in communication to do so. It would be best to create a new term rather than use a term that has been defined for decades and is widely used to have a specific meaning..

All

The European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization's concept of a safety case is described in some detail in EN 50129:2003 here:

https://law.resource.org/pub/bg/ibr/bds.en.50129.2003.pdf

 I complied with the 1998 version of this standard. It hasn't changed much. Modern wisdom (which I heartily support) is that one should progressively collect the required evidence of safety as a project progresses. As it turned out I did not have this luxury. The exercise turned out to be roughly four man months work.

On a personal level, at the start, it was a daunting prospect. Felix Redmil dropped by and I asked him if he had any words for me. Something I might be able to cut and paste. He quite rightly indicated that each safety case is specific to the application and demurred.

In the end completing this document made me, and I think many others on the project feel good about ourselves. A hell of a lot of work had been done and we did have the evidence. For example, I could go back two years and find records of review. This was, from the safety perspective, the culmination of a happy project - thanks to the company culture, an inspired project manager and a sophisticated and reasonable customer. When I say culture I mean that we demonstrated by our actions and our deliverables that we were committed to safety. This was not lost on the customer who may or may not have analysed the safety case in detail. If he did he would have recognised elements of evidence that he was very familiar with. The safety program was visible to the customer throughout the project.

This has been a long conversation about safety cases. I hope it continues. The fundamental point I would like to make is that, at this stage of our development, because software intensive system development remains knowledge work which is largely invisible and massively complex the only way to effectively deliver a safe system is to have people committed to safety doing the work. And to have methods of gaining visibility into that commitment. A safety case document is one window into this commitment.

I'd be interested in any comments.

Les