[SystemSafety] Fwd: Contextualizing & Confirmation Bias

Nick Lusty nl887 at my.open.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 18:45:46 CET 2014

Peter,

Whilst accepting that all science is done in its own context, surely
getting "the right answer ... when there was a right answer to get" is a
not evidence of the absence of confirmation bias in the experiment.
Indeed, turning this argument on its head, if a theory is correct, and
the experimenter suffers confirmation bias, "the right answer" would
seem, at least to me, to be the inevitable conclusion of the experiment.

Nick Lusty