[SystemSafety] Logic

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Sun Feb 16 20:24:46 CET 2014

All,
I should have added that a new version of the "Guide to the Software Engineering Body of Knowledge" (aka "SWEBOK Guide", in this case SWEBOK Guide V3) has recently been released by the IEEE Computer Society. You can get your own PDF copy by going to http://www.swebok.org and then clicking on the "PDF (free)" link under "Get the SWEBOK Guide". This new version is a significant update from the previous 2003 version. Among other things, several new "Knowledge Areas" have been added.

A quick survey shows the following sections talking about formal methods of one sort or another:
Chapter 1: Software Requirements
    Section 1.4.5: Formal Analysis
    Possibly Section 1.6.3: Model Validation

Chapter 9: Software Engineering Models and Methods
    Section 9.1.4: Preconditions, postconditions, and invariants
    Possibly Section 9.3: Analysis of models
    Section 9.4.2: Formal Methods

Chapter 14: Mathematical Foundations

So my point is that the SWEBOK Guide people have at least recognized the need for formality in professional software development. Hopefully, as industry and academia adopt SWEBOK Guide as a description/definition of "what software engineering is" then there will necessarily be an increased emphasis on formality.

-- steve