[SystemSafety] Logic

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Tue Feb 18 16:49:34 CET 2014

On 18/02/2014 14:36, Derek M Jones wrote:
> The practical usefulness of formal logic for anything but the smallest
> problem is wildly overblown in computer science and I continue to be
> amazed by the claims made by the proponents of this approach

I have seen mathematically formal methods used successfully on
industrial projects involving more than a hundred engineers and
thousands of person-days of effort. I have seen formal proofs carried
out on safety-critical metro systems by industrial engineers at Siemens
Transportation and on the message choreographies for electronic commerce
systems by software engineers at SAP.

In my opinion, the larger and more complex a system is, the more it
requires the use of abstraction to master the complexity; abstraction
without formal logic is just arm-waving.

Martyn Thomas