[SystemSafety] Logic

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Feb 18 17:09:46 CET 2014

Andrew,

I'm not sure I go along with cultural relativism when it comes to SW development.

A third of our curriculum in the first year is about how to program (algorithms, data structures,
functional programming in Haskell, "object-oriented" programming in Java). One-sixth of our
curriculum in the second year is group project programming. To be precise in terms of credit-point
arithmetic, that is formally 900 hours of work. That is half a person-year (more or less;
person-years vary per country).

Since, as I hope we all know by now, SW requirements specification and analysis is a sine qua non
for dependability, failures in this process accounting for some 70-90+% of dependable-SW failures,
one might imagine that SW requirements be addressed somewhere in this half-person-year.

Places such as Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial, all in the top-ten worldwide, offer substantial
education in skills associated with formal description languages. So, of course, does your alma
mater, with Alloy.

I really don't think the issue we face at Bielefeld is about what to cut out. The issue is more
people's understanding of what developing SW is all about.

PBL