[SystemSafety] FMEA draft international standard

John Knight jck at virginia.edu
Fri Jul 18 18:20:44 CEST 2014

Hi Ross,

I did not mean to imply that not-for-profit organizations should be
deprived of essential revenue.  What I am looking for is for the cost of
standards to be born by those who receive financial value from the
standards.

All of the standards-development organizations are essential assets in
the community.  I am anxious for them to remain financially healthy and
to have a predictable economic model.

I have written up a few ideas about standards that go beyond but include
the financial element.  At the risk of stirring up a lot of controversy,
I note that a paper defining the ideas is available from the Safety
Critical Systems Club:

http://scsc.org.uk/paper_126/protect_reg_01-Knight.pdf?pap=933

The SCSC has graciously agreed to allow this particular paper to be
available at no cost to the community in part because of my stand on the
cost of standards.

I am extremely grateful to the SCSC both for publishing the paper and
for allowing it to be downloaded at no cost.

-- John