[SystemSafety] Bicycle Helmets

DREW Rae d.rae at griffith.edu.au
Thu Oct 16 00:32:27 CEST 2014

>Fuzziness of the data notwithstanding, if we agree that helmets provide
say '-x' degree of risk reduction, but in the two populations the
proportion of injuries is still roughly the same, then we >could conclude
there must be some source of additional risk equal to 'x' that helmeted
riders are exposed to? If so what is that risk? Or am I missing something?

>Matthew Squair

That's the thing. The data _don't_ show that in the two populations the
proportion of injuries is still roughly the same. The studies reasonably
consistently show that for the same group of people cycling, wearing a
helmet reduces the proportion of serious head injuries. The only studies
that show differently are looking at different populations through some
form of systematic measurement  error which is obvious from the way the
study is reported. The main examples are:
 - reporting bias excluding the population who have helmet + no serious
injury (e.g. by counting at the point of hospital admission)
 - population skew by measuring before and after a helmet law, where the
makeup of the cycling population changes before and after

I'm not sure there's anyone on the list trying to make the claim that the
proportion of injuries is the same in equal populations. Peter gave one
paper to provoke discussion, but as I understand he agrees that it has a
systematic sampling problem.

I should also pre-empt another problem that hasn't come up in the
discussion yet - the evidence is very mixed for facial injuries rather than
head injuries. The mechanism of injury is quite different, and there are
plausible ways a helmet without a faceplate can increase as well as
decrease scratching and bruising to the face.

A couple of people also pointed to the "paper" where a guy stuck a video
camera on the back of his bike and claimed that wearing a helmet caused
more dangerous driver behaviour around the cyclist. Full points for
initiative, major deductions for rigour, statistical methods questionable,
and not supported by the other evidence.

Drew

My safety podcast: disastercast.co.uk
My mobile (until October 2nd): +44 7783 446 814
My mobile (from October 6th): 0450 161 361