[SystemSafety] SIL upstream and downstream, EUROCAE document 039/ ED-80

Rolle, Ingo ingo.rolle at vde.com
Thu Oct 16 13:11:33 CEST 2014

Hello,

IEC 61508-1 requires a risk analysis and risk according to ISO/IEC guide is the combination of severity and probability. In so far, IEC 61508 requires to include severity.

>From a didactic viewpoint: whether you determine the SIL by a risk analysis (upstream as Bertrand says) or calculate and provide proof that you can reach it (downstream), it's always "SIL"

IEC 62443 series however, dealing with IT security and introducing also staggered requirements, this time along the scale of "SL = security level", makes this distinction. We get SL Target and SL achieved and also SL capability, with respect to components

Ingo Rolle