[SystemSafety] Analyzing far behind the Intended Use

Haim Kuper h3k at 012.net.il
Wed Dec 30 03:12:58 CET 2015

Hello everyone,

What is your opinion regarding the following situation:

The customer defines System-A to be used as "Advisory only". This fact
defines what we call the "Intended Use" of the system.

This  Intendent use is the basis of System-A safety analysis, resulting with
few hazards marked with CRITICAL severity.

The operator of System-X is quite clever to use the system FAR BEHIND the
Intendent use.

If you analyze this  "Extra-usage", you find hazards typed as CATASTROPHIC
severity, and the mitigation of those hazards is quite expensive.

We do wish to protect the operator activities. However, the customer will
not pay the price of  FAR BEHIND the Intendent use mitigation.

How will you act under those constrains ?

Thanks,

Kuper