[SystemSafety] The STOBCLO doctrine liberates expert witnesses

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 10:21:58 CEST 2015

Very Bayesian :))

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655
Email; Mattsquair at gmail.com
Web: http://criticaluncertainties.com

On 11 Jul 2015, at 1:40 pm, Les Chambers <les at chambers.com.au> wrote:

  Hi All

Look, I'm sorry to bother you lot with yet another post on the aphorism I
previously quoted as:

"Some things only become clear, later on." (STOBCLO)

But, I have flash news: STOBCLO is gaining both intellectual and legal
momentum. And, properly applied, may enhance the quality of posts on this
list.

I've been advised that some of our number are forced to lurk on this list
in read-only mode because of their expert witness work. Contrary positions,
published over time, can be used by lawyers to discredit the expert
witness. I can't help thinking that this constraint robs the systems
engineering community of valuable insights. But wait, STOBCLO may provide
relief.

This week I mentioned this problem to my cycling buddy John who is a highly
respected town planner in my hometown. In this role John is often called as
an expert witness in some horrendous cases. For example, where whole
communities have been wiped out by flood events that, some plaintiffs are
prepared to claim, could have been avoided by better planning.

John is currently somewhere north of 70 years old and has been publishing
since his late twenties. His intellectual cat is well and truly out of the
bag, on display for all to see, and a rich trail of evolving opinion for
the lawyers to mine in support of some puny, reputation-destroying legal
gotcha.

But not so, his professional reputation remains intact (systems engineering
expert witnesses take note). He told me that, when caught out by a lawyer
with nothing better to do than read his 40-year-old articles, he has
successfully argued in court that he is entitled to change his mind on a
position taken as a 20-something in light of later experience, and,
frankly, the getting of wisdom with age. In short: "Some things only become
clear, later on."

So there we have it. STOBCLO started out as a bit of a giggle, morphed into
an aphorism, became a legal doctrine and is now encased in legal precedent.
Wow!

Where to from here? You know you're onto something when you pull a
sentiment out of the primordial muck, polish it up, and find, quite by
accident, that it has application in two or more knowledge domains. A
doctrine such as this, so seamless and sublime in its alignment of wisdom
 with real life, should survive on its own.  But I'd like to lend it a hand.

It's a bit long for an acronym library. I vote for a translation into the
dead but immortal Latin and a laying down with the likes of the Hippocratic
"Ars longa, vita brevis". Does anyone know any Latin scholars?

Cheers

Les

Les Chambers
Director