[SystemSafety] Hackers take over *control* of a car wirelessly

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Wed Jul 22 23:51:30 CEST 2015

Mike

I agree, it was a sweeping statement ... or more an impression gained from reading Ashlee Vance's biography of Elon Musk. I found Vance's account credible for the following reasons:

1. Vance researched it thoroughly. He interviewed many people from Musk's personal and professional life. Halfway through its writing Musk caved in and agreed to cooperate even though his requests to "write footnotes" and edit content were refused.

2. Vance bent over backwards to give a balanced account of Musk's adventures. There's a lot of good, some bad and much ugly in this story.

Given it was published for general consumption there is no detail on engineering process in Musk's companies, Space X and Tesla, but from a safety engineering point of view you can't help but gain the following impressions.

1. All Musk companies operated (and may still be operating) under the constant threat of bankruptcy (situation normal for a start-up). The temptation to take shortcuts would have been huge (at least in the early days – and possibly still today).

2. Eighty to one hundred hour work weeks are normal. New hires are warned that, "this is special forces territory". I tried this once for a year and discovered that you make dangerous design decisions late at night. After a year of this I turned into a gibbering idiot and took six months to recover. This leads me to my next point:

3. Musk burns out his people. His turnover is high. The only people with the stamina to sustain this workload are probably 20 and 30 somethings who are learning on-the-job. You wonder what kind of design decisions they are making at midnight.

4. Disagreeing with musk is career limiting, proving him wrong is fatal. He is not what you'd call a well adjusted kind of guy. Try establishing and running a consistent safety engineering regime in this kind of environment. Musk reacts very badly to being told he can't do something. That's pretty much what a safety authorities's job is. Any professional safety engineer would last microseconds in that kind of environment.

5. Musk has achieved order of magnitude reductions in cost by bringing much of the design in-house. This means he is probably using designers with little background in what they are designing (there are some examples of this in the book), including what constitutes an unsafe design. The zeitgeist is, the establishment is bloated with too much cash, old, uncool and don't know what they're doing. In contrast we are younger, we are smarter, we are cooler, we can do it better. There's probably an element of truth in this but when it comes to safety engineering which, let's face it, can be boring as bat shit, you have to wonder if they're missing or ignoring something.

I'd recommend the book. It's a rattling good tale but it leaves you conflicted. On the one hand you can't help admiring Musk and what he has achieved in such a short time. He's probably a one in 100 year kind of guy. He's given the technology industry a good kick in the pants, created thousands of new jobs and moved space and road vehicle technology a few big steps into the future. Any capital invested in his companies has been very productive. It's also true that if you're going to make advances like this you've got a take risks. That is, drop your risk tolerance and be prepared to take casualties.

That said I challenge you to read the book and ask yourself this question:

Would I want to be an astronaut sitting on top of one of Musk's rockets?

Right now MY answer would be NO! Taking casualties is fine as long as I'm not one of them. I'm content to be old and uncool. I'll leave that to the young and the fearless.

Cheers

Les