[SystemSafety] New Yorker article...

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 03:24:06 CEST 2015

One thing I took away from the article was that there is a version of the
‘prosecutor’s fallacy’ at work here. After the Pinto case hit the headlines
it was obvious to everyone that this issue should have been dealt with but
at the time it was just one more case to deal with in a department with a
heavy case load. The question is not how risky the fuel tank issue was on
it’s own but where it sat relative to other issues the engineers needed to
deal with on the day, time being a limited resource.

BTW John the US FRA (I think) did a study on ‘un-commanded accelerations'
their conclusion that (leaving aside dash mats) the root cause was that
smaller European and Japanese cars had the pedals closer together than US
manufactured cars, apple unfamiliar with this would from time to time hit
the edge of the other pedal. Thing to remember is that these are very weak
performance shaping factors so it needs a lot of users and a lot of trips
before you get even a few events.