[SystemSafety] [EC 61508 and cybersecurity

Christopher Johnson Christopher.Johnson at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Jun 1 13:02:15 CEST 2015

I agree with much that Chris says but the problem is that the high level standards bodies often have little practical day to day experience
at the interface between security and safety – indeed most industries are just waking up to the possibilities with ISIL in control of several
refineries and ATM towers (plus associated engineers).

The engineering details often throw up a host of tensions – as a trivial case that Drew mentioned this morning – if you take incident
reporting as a monitoring mechanism from most Safety Management Systems and transfer it into a Security Management System
you have to totally change your mindset – from one where it is critical to disseminate recommendations as widely as possible (safety)
to one in which simply knowing that an incident has occurred can be a strong indication of complicity (security).  I worked on a recent incident
where the systems admin team were all treated as suspects because they identified the intrusion -

This is one example but there are many more.