[SystemSafety] Report on Google autonomous vehicles

Tom Ferrell tom at faaconsulting.com
Mon Jun 8 23:46:54 CEST 2015

While certainly far from statistically significant given the number of
accidents vs. the total number of miles driven, it seems odd to me that
eight out of twelve of the reported accidents are rear-end collisions
(both in automatic and manual mode).  After an admittedly short search
on the wild west web, the highest rate I could find for the accidents in
general in the US was in an old  DOT report (CY 2000) that showed 29.7%
of all accidents were of a rear-end type.  A much more recent insurance
site claimed 23% for CY 2010.  Wonder if there is something inherently
distracting about the Google vehicles that are increasing this rate?