[SystemSafety] Report on Google autonomous vehicles

Matthias Güdemann matthias.guedemann at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 9 08:38:03 CEST 2015

> more recent insurance site claimed 23% for CY 2010.  Wonder if there
> is something inherently distracting about the Google vehicles that are
> increasing this rate?

When I was reading this report, I was reminded of someone who wrote
about his experience with the Google AVs. He described them as driving
in a very defensive way, almost timidly.

Maybe this driving style is unexpected for others on the road?

The report often states that the AV had stopped at a traffic light or
stop sign, but there is no information about for how long it had
stopped. From what I have seen in the US, many crossings without traffic
lights have stop signs at every entry to the crossing and drivers should
first stop and then proceed in the order of arrival.

>From my driving experience in Europe, I'd be *very* surprised if people
in the US would completely stop instead of just slowing down at
crossings if it was obvious that no only else arrives; on the other hand
Google AVs likely obey the road traffic regulations.

Matthias