[SystemSafety] Degraded software performance [diverged from Fault, Failure and Reliability Again]

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 14:40:13 CET 2015

Drew,

> 2) Increased unreliability of the physical execution environment
> e.g. an increased rate of processor errors
> very specific e.g. dust accumulates on part of the processor card, making
> it run hot and produce calculation errors

The fact that Moore's law is now working against the consumer
has not yet gained much traction:
http://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2013/12/13/unreliable-cpus-and-memory-the-end-result-of-moores-law/

I'm not sure we need to go this far just yet:
http://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2014/05/29/source-code-will-soon-need-to-be-radiation-hardened/

Intrinsic hardware variability is also becoming very
noticeable:
http://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2015/02/24/hardware-variability-may-be-greater-than-algorithmic-improvement/