[SystemSafety] Degraded software performance [diverged from Fault, Failure and Reliability Again]

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Mar 5 07:24:51 CET 2015

I think that Drew has pointed out a number of phenomena which result in software changing
inadvertently and/or unobserved over time. Attributing the causes of those phenomena to "SW" or "HW"
is I suggest of secondary interest. What is of primary interest is that they do occur and as a
result software changes/can so change with the passage of time.

Suppose one wants to talk about that phenomenon. To me, "software degradation" seems a reasonable
term to use. Others may prefer to invent another term.

It's clear to me that the phenomena (maybe not all of them, but at least some) do occur/have
occurred and anyone preserving critical software for any length of time should take them into
account; devise detection and prophylaxis mechanisms and so on. Sort of like hardware, really.