[SystemSafety] Software reliability (or whatever you would prefer to call it)

C. Michael Holloway c.m.holloway at nasa.gov
Mon Mar 9 12:53:07 CET 2015

On 3/8/15 10:03 AM, Littlewood, Bev wrote a whole lot of stuff, but I
only want to comment on the following:
> But I did think Michael’s dig at academics was a bit below the belt. ...
I did not make a dig at academics.  I made a true statement about my
experience, using language that was perhaps a tad bit less kind than it
could have been, but nevertheless accurate.

Surely no one on this list would dispute the existence of academics who
"seem to be swayed by arguments of dubious cogency and evidence of
questionable credibility."   Just as no one on this list should dispute
the same statement if "academics" were replaced by "government
researchers", "practicing engineers", "certification authorities",
"professional philosophers", or any other group.  If everyone on the
list is honest with his or herself, neither should anyone dispute the
statement if "academics" is replaced by his or her own name, modified
only by an explicit qualifier such as "sometimes".  I certainly don't
dispute it as applied to myself.

--
/*cMh*/

*C. Michael Holloway*, Senior Research Engineer

The words in this message are mine alone; neither blame nor credit NASA
for them.