[SystemSafety] Software reliability (or whatever you would prefer to call it) [UNCLASSIFIED]

King, Martin (NNPPI) martin.king2 at rolls-royce.com
Tue Mar 17 10:28:45 CET 2015

This message has been marked as UNCLASSIFIED by King, Martin (NNPPI)
Matthew

We always have had hardware design standards, even for arrays of TTL LSI chips (number of capacitors, track sizes spacing etc).  Some organisations have more formal and restrictive practices than others.  With HDLs the relationship between gate connectivity (and layout, allocation etc) and the HDL source code can be quite tenuous as you allude.  Where we need to perform high levels of verification of HDL we have quite restrictive HDL 'coding standards'.

(Note that the new Def Stan 00-55 [Interim Issue 3] covers all customisable parts.  It uses the term 'unintended behaviour' to describe the circumstances where a programmed device fails to perform the expected function, as does 00-56).

Martin King
 (my opinion not necessarily that of my employer)