[SystemSafety] The VW Saga

Chuck_Petras at selinc.com Chuck_Petras at selinc.com
Mon Oct 12 21:47:13 CEST 2015

In opening I will say that I am the owner of a '12 VW Jetta TDI.

To me the issue isn't the NOx emission levels. Its the fact that VW had
(has) a corporate culture that would condone this sort of thing. What
other systems have been compromised? Is there an Easter egg in the
stability control system? Airbags? This really is the issue.

Regulators Investigating 2nd VW Computer Program on Emissions
<
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/business/international/vw-diesel-emissions-scandal-congressional-hearing.html

​VW sets January for diesel emissions recall
<http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vw-sets-january-for-diesel-emissions-recall/>
"Mueller said 'according to current information, a few developers
interfered in the engine management.' He said he doesn't think the
management board made the decision to use the manipulated software."

Chuck Petras, PE
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc
Pullman, WA  99163  USA
http://www.selinc.com
Tel: +1.509.332.1890

SEL Synchrophasors - A New View of the Power System <
http://synchrophasor.selinc.com>

Making Electric Power Safer, More Reliable, and More Economical (R)