[SystemSafety] Data on Proof effectiveness from real projects

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 21:23:16 CEST 2016

Steve,

> What's your source for the 44% number? I'm very interested in that kind of
> data. My source says 56% of defects are in requirements and 27% are in
> design. Only 7% are coding. The remaining 10% are defects logged against
> other things: test cases, test plans, project plans, etc.

There is no reason to think that any of these percentages should be
confined to a narrow range of values.

Percentages can also be misleading.  X might have 70% in requirements,
30% in coding, while Y has 30% in requirements and 70% in coding.
Subsequent investigation finding that X and Y had the same number
of defects in requirements but very different processes going on
in coding.