[SystemSafety] Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?

Chris Hills safetyyork at phaedsys.com
Mon Apr 18 18:25:04 CEST 2016

Hi All

I came across someone using the term "reliable" to also infer safe  and
secure.
I contended that "reliable" does not automatically mean safe or secure.

I can think of cases where systems behave in a reliable
(repeatable/predictable) way that is not safe  and other that are reliable
land certainly not secure.   I have seen a demo of a very reliable system
that has a completely open password and will then use a well-known comms
protocol to give you any information you ask for.  Though it is safe doing
what it is supposed to do (as long as you can't re-purpose it to be
dangerous).

What is the current thinking?   Does "reliable" also infer safe or secure?

Regards
   Chris

Phaedrus Systems Ltd
FREEphone 0808 1800 358    International +44 1827 259 546
Vat GB860621831  Co Reg #04120771
Http://www.phaedsys.com  chills at phaedsys.com