[SystemSafety] How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability?

Mike Ellims michael.ellims at tesco.net
Mon Apr 18 19:03:48 CEST 2016

Doing a quick survey the majority of regulations are specific to testing of
highly automated and autonomous vehicles e.g. Google test vehicles.

As far as I can Tesla falls into a legal grey area in that the vehicles are
not part of a test program and as such are not expressly prohibited in the
USA though their functionality would appear to be perhaps illegal in the
Netherlands.

In the USA NHTSA states that they will be working towards regulation
sometime this year and there are currently no specific UNECE regulations
though they have a working group. Some people may find the paper in the
following link interesting though I haven't as yet looked it in detail
myself.

http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/publications/automated-vehicles-are-probably-le
gal-united-states