[SystemSafety] Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?

Coq, Thierry Thierry.Coq at dnvgl.com
Sun Apr 24 08:24:24 CEST 2016

Hi
I find this list hugely informative. In particular, I find PBL's posts factual, useful, interesting and intriguing.  As well as the many other debaters who agree with him or challenge him. As it should be. I wish to express my gratitude to all debaters.

However, this last exchange seems to me a debate on authority.
On our left, we have DO-178. B now C.
On our right, we have IEC, IEEE, Musa, etc.

To go further, it is plain fact that the aeronautics industry has demonstrated it doesn't need "software reliability" to deliver highly reliable automated systems, or systems of systems.
It seems evident with the knowledge we have of the aeronautics success that in order to use "software reliability" in other industries, or in aeronautics, there needs to be a clear use case where the value of "software reliability" is demonstrated, compared to other methods or techniques, in order to apply "software reliability". The analogy of software and hardware does not seem valid, as software does not "fatigue" or randomly "break" the way hardware does, which is the basis for all probabilistic reliability theories for hardware. The analogy that does seem valid between hardware and software is the presence of systematic faults, in design, manufacturing, installation, testing, misuse, etc. Which in hardware also does not have a probability number. Formal methods can be used to identify such systematic faults in software. If one can be found, then a test environment can be devised in which the software will fail 100% of the time. Random hardware faults do not behave like that.

Best regards,
Thierry Coq
The opinions reflected here are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer