[SystemSafety] Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?

Mike Ellims michael.ellims at tesco.net
Sun Apr 24 14:23:12 CEST 2016

> as software does not "fatigue" or randomly "break" the way hardware does

Reliability engineering is much more than just fatigue or randomly breaks,
it encompasses everything about the control of variation and error in a
system, most commonly using statistical methods.

BS 4478 defines reliability as "The ability of an item to perform a required
function under stated conditions for a stated period of time".

O'Conner states that "reliability is usually concerned with failures in the
time domain. This distinctions marks the difference between traditional
quality control and reliability engineering".

He goes on to list a number of reasons why a failure may occur as follows
(abridged)

- design: which may be inadequate
- overstress: i.e. analysis of condition was incomplete and/or incorrect
- variation: which includes manufacturing variation
- wear out, which is what everyone seems to think of...
- error, such as errors in specification

Henley and Kumamoto give a potted history of the development of reliability
engineering and track its roots to work done by Lusser on the V2 (V1?)
missile which was spectacularly unreliable at first. But obviously not a
wear out issue...

This is of course separate from whether in any context reliability is useful
concept e.g. software. You can obviously measure the reliability of
Windows98 is terms of mean time between crashes (failures in time) likewise
you can measure the reliability of Linux in the same manner. Whether that
has any deep meaning aside from the fact that it shows Windows98 to be pants
compared to Linux for some distribution of uses/input/outputs a different
question.

Cheers.