[SystemSafety] Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?

Michael J. Pont M.Pont at SafeTTy.net
Sun Apr 24 11:13:32 CEST 2016

Ross,

I know what you mean.

Overall, I think this is a great list (and I think that PBL deserves a medal
for the work he does on it).

I have learned to accept that some people on this list (and some of the most
vocal) seem incapable of accepting that any system can be created without
the use of formal methods (and I've been labelled "incompetent" by one vocal
member of the list for daring to question this orthodoxy).  Such attitudes
suggest to me that some people need to get out more.

In terms of the most recent discussion (that gave rise to your comment),
"software reliability" doesn't make sense to me as a label (because the
software does not change / wear out).  I now translate this phase as
"software robustness" or similar and then the world makes a little more
sense.

Overall, people on this list sometimes have a tendency to argue their
positions forcefully and directly.  I don't think that anyone has suffered
too much from this.  However, I suspect that more people would contribute if
they didn't feel that they may be shot down for saying the wrong thing.

Simply my take (I'm sure that others will have a different view ...).

Michael.

Michael J. Pont
SafeTTy Systems Ltd.